Standing Committee on education and outreach
- Kenji Yoshikawa, U.S.A., firstname.lastname@example.org
Statement of Goals:
- The Standing Committee on Education and Outreach should advise the Executive Committee on Education and Outreach activities as well as coordinate and initiate Educa-tion and Outreach activities for the International Permafrost Association in partnership with the IPA Secretariat and/or other organizations.
- The Standing Committee should help the Executive Committee to develop a strong corporate identity for the IPA, including graphics, web instruments, and presentations.
- The Standing Committee should ensure the presence and involvement of young re-searchers and educators in IPA activities.
- The Standing Committee should seek to develop educational products for non-specialist audiences, including youth, teachers, journalists or policy-makers.
- The Standing Committee should help to maintain a database of subject matter experts (SMEs)
- The Standing Committee should support the development and maintenance of the In-ternational University Courses on Permafrost database
- The Standing Committee should seek to develop the place of permafrost in education curricula. It should do so by developing course syllabi, background literature suggestions, course presentation material, but also by collaborating with the relevant stakeholders on the development of permafrost courses.
- The Standing Committee should foster the development of field courses and summer schools on permafrost-related topics
- The Standing Committee should try to articulate the IPA’s education and outreach ac-tivities in broader education frameworks
- The Standing Committee should support PYRN and ensure that its activities are known in the permafrost community and beyond (e.g. APECS)
- The Standing Committee shall make recommendations to the permafrost community and the wider public to better publicize media and outreach products on permafrost
Liaison with international organizations and programs: IUGS Commission on Geoscience Education, Training and Technology Transfer (COGE), Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS), University of the Arctic (UArtic)
A few examples from the activities developed recently by the standing committee:
- Develop and campaign or advertise INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY COURSES ON PERMAFROST (IUCP)
- Developed MoU with University of Arctic, APECS and PYRN.
- K12 School based frost tube activities and community based permafrost monitoring network.
- Developments of permafrost knowledge promotion materials
- Develop a Thematic Network on Permafrost working with University of Arctic and other key partners.
Committee members (alphabet order):
Jenny Baeseman (Norway), Scott Forrest (Finland), Koichiro Harada (Japan), Halldór Jóhannsson (Iceland), Julia Khalilova (Russia), Anna Klene (USA), Lars Kullerud (Norway), Sarah Laxton, (Canada), Ylva Sjöberg (Sweden), Elena Sparrow (USA), Irina Streletskaya (Russia), Robert Swan (England), Dario Trombotto (Argentine), Leena-Kaisa Viitanen (Iceland)
Observers (IPA): Hanne Christiansen, Hugues Lantuit, Inga May