Education & Outreach
The IPA Education and Outreach Standing Committee promotes permafrost education and outreach to all generations across the globe. We welcome any comments, questions, and suggestions, sent to any member of the Education and Outreach Standing Committee, or co-chairs Anna (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ylva (email@example.com).
Current members: Anna Klene (co-chair), Ylva Sjöberg (co-chair), Kenji Yoshikawa, Koichiro Harada, Margaret Cysewski, Frédérick Bouchard, Josefine Lenz, Alexey Maslakov, Hanne Christiansen, Sarah Strand, Juliane Wolter, Fabrice Calmels, Dario Trombotto, Xiangbing Kong (PYRN representative).
Please see the Outreach Activities page for online Resources.
Examples of our collaborations:
- Memorandum of Understanding with University of Arctic, APECS and PYRN.
- Thematic Network on Permafrost working with University of Arctic and other key partners.
- Liaison with IUGS Commission on Geoscience Education, Training and Technology Transfer (COGE).
Schoolchildren designing the ultimate permafrost-meter, inspired by frozen ground cartoons. Photo: Ylva Sjöberg
Statement of Goals:
- The Standing Committee on Education and Outreach should advise the Executive Committee on Education and Outreach activities as well as coordinate and initiate Education and Outreach activities for the International Permafrost Association in partnership with the IPA Secretariat and/or other organizations.
- The Standing Committee should help the Executive Committee to develop a strong corporate identity for the IPA, including graphics, web instruments, and presentations.
- The Standing Committee should ensure the presence and involvement of young researchers and educators in IPA activities.
- The Standing Committee should seek to develop educational products for non-specialist audiences, including youth, teachers, journalists or policy-makers.
- The Standing Committee should help to maintain a database of subject matter experts (SMEs)
- The Standing Committee should support the development and maintenance of the International University Courses on Permafrost database
- The Standing Committee should seek to develop the place of permafrost in education curricula. It should do so by developing course syllabi, background literature suggestions, course presentation material, but also by collaborating with the relevant stakeholders on the development of permafrost courses.
- The Standing Committee should foster the development of field courses and summer schools on permafrost-related topics
- The Standing Committee should try to articulate the IPA’s education and outreach activities in broader education frameworks
- The Standing Committee should support PYRN and ensure that its activities are known in the permafrost community and beyond (e.g. APECS)
- The Standing Committee shall make recommendations to the permafrost community and the wider public to better publicize media and outreach products on permafrost